Well, I ran across something really cool today. The very first brew we ever created on a single sheet of paper. Our first brew day was a nightmare. We decided to brew a clone recipe just to make sure we had the process down and could get a grasp on what we were doing. We started off all-grain(yes it can be done with a little reading). If not for a few things the brewday would’ve been much easier, alas things happen and well, it was a 9 hour brewday. For starters our bucket that we were using to collect wort was not sealed 100% around the spigot and leaked some of our first runnings .
We ended up a little low on the gravity so we boiled a little longer to get the gravity up a little, alas we ended up with less beer than we wanted to.
I watched the fermenter after we pitched the yeast for what seemed like every 15 minutes for two days. I even got up in the middle of the night to check if there was any activity. Eventually after about 36 hours we had a nice krausen formed and the airlock was bubbling like crazy.
It’s interesting that even before Beersmith we kept extensive notes on the beer. And if you don’t have Beersmith(or another brewing program) I highly suggest it. As you can see we kept temperature logs every day.
And after about 6 weeks we had our first beer. It may be the greatest thing I’ve ever tasted just because we made it ourselves. Now looking back 2 1/2 years ago there were so many stupid things we did creating this beer, but it still turned out drinkable and actually quite tasty. So if you’re a new brewer starting out, don’t get discouraged. Everyone goes through these types of issues initially, the beer will more than likely be drinkable. If it’s not exactly what you wanted, just try again until you make that recipe the way you want it. I guarantee it’ll be very satisfying once you’ve got it the way you want it. And just remember the old homebrewer’s mantra RDWHAHB (Relax don’t worry have a homebrew).