Took a look at the Berliner last night and its looking awesome right about now.
This is the first attempt at a sour beer for Love Brewery hopefully it won’t be the last.
First we start off by getting our mash tun ready and the brew pot filled with enough water for mashing and sparging.
We’ll lose a little bit of heat transferring the water to the mash tun.
After sparging to get our boil volume we combine all the runnings and bring them to a boil in our boil pot., and because this is a berliner weisse it only requires a short boil time. Berliner Weisse’s generally have a very low bitterness, so there is no need for a long boil to extract more bitterness from hops. Some Berliner Weisse’s don’t even boil at all and use a long open mash to encourage wild yeast to form. But we had a special yeast/lacto blend from White Labs so we chose to boil.
The special Berliner Weisse Blend from White Labs
Updates will be posted along the way to show the progress of the beer as this one is going to take a few months.
Just poured the first of the Kiwi Wheat, it is delicious.
Very nice tartness up front, great wheat beer profile, and a very minimal kiwi flavor on the back end. I could see this being a great summer beer.
On February 12th, City Tap House hosted a homebrew contest run by Yards Brewing entitled “The Karma Factor”. The contest was a clone contest to see who could clone one of Yards Year-round beers the closest, we chose to clone Yards IPA.
14.5lbs. 2-row Marris Otter
.5lbs. crystal/caramel 60L
1oz. Nugget @60min.
1oz. Amarillo @25min.
1oz. Amarillo @10min.
.5oz. Amarillo @3min.
1oz. Amarillo @1min.
1oz. Amarillo (dry hop 5 days)
1oz. Chinook (dry hop 5 days)
White Lab WLP002 English Ale Yeast (1500ml starter)
Mashed @150F for 60 min.
Next we heat up the strike water for mashing. We wanted to be around 160F for the strike temp.
Here is our refractometer measurement of the first runnings, it caculates in brix% which can easily be converted to gravity or plato. Very handy device. It’s hard to tell from this pictured, but it read 20.4 which equates to 1.082. Which is good for our first runnings.
After we sparged we ended up with our total volume of about 7 gallons. We put it back on the heat, and boil for an hour adding the hops according to the hop schedule. As you can see a nice layer of hot break is forming on the top of the wort.
Here is whats left of the yeast starter, very little liquid and the yeast. I let it warm up so the yeast mixes with the little bit of liquid to create a pitchable slurry. If you want to make yeast starters i have a how to in the DIY section, or click here.
Before pitching the yeast you have to make sure you sanitize anything that may come in to contact with the yeast when pouring. Obviously the inside of the fermenter should already be sanitized, but you may want to spray the lip of the fermenter as well as the lip of the flask with sanitizer so that when pouring if the yeast may come into contact with the lip it will be ok.
It only took about 3 hours before we got our first bubbles in the airlock, and when i woke up the next morning we had a nice krausen and a ton of airlock activity. There is a video of the active fermentation in the videos section, or click here
After the hops are in the hop bag we racked the beer into a secondary vessel. The beer will sit in here for 5 days with the hops.
Alas, we did not win but it was a good time and we got some great feedback on the beers. We’ll definitely be doing some more contests in the upcoming months, keep an eye out.